Thursday 5 February 2015

Alexis - JK Registration



Dear Lexi,

Last week I registered you for Junior Kindergarten. It was kind of anti-climactic – I mean, sorry middle-child, but I HAVE already done this before and I know the school well of course, since your sister goes there. That doesn’t mean that it was any less thrilling to me that in seven short months, I’ll have TWO full-time school kids. Mercedes is so excited to have you join her in the ranks of ‘big kid’ (although she isn’t thinking that through very carefully, since she clearly loves lording it over you currently that she goes to big girl school and you, most certainly do not) and you are counting down the days to being in ‘real’ school. 

We’ve already talked about how in the spring we’ll go and visit your school and see the classrooms from the perspective of student, instead of little sister. You’ve reminded me over and over again that you’ll pick out your own backpack and a lunch-bag just like the one Mercedes has because you’ll be bringing your own lunch when you are ‘big.’ I find it so endearing how excited you are (your sister was the same) and I can’t wait for you to fall in love with school the way she has (and the way I did, 30 years ago!)

It’s funny, because I look at you currently and picture Holden starting JK the year after you; he’ll be the exact same age that you are right now (3.75). I look at your bathroom skills and your dressing-independently skills and your alphabet recognition and your language and vocabulary, and it reassures me that he’ll do okay when the time comes. Because I have no concerns about you starting JK – none at all. You are a delightfully charming little girl. Feisty and spunky and independent, but also sweet and cooperative and considerate (particularly when not at home, ha). I realized just this week that you seem so much more grown up all of a sudden – the changes actually happen slowly of course; gradually you learn new things about the world and your place in it – but to me, it seems like there was an abrupt change in how you carry yourself, how you speak, how you interact with your siblings. You stand up for yourself a bit more with Mercedes. You are more tolerant and playful with Holden – viewing him as a playmate and a peer instead of a pesky baby competing for our attention. You have fewer completely irrational tantrums. You tell us delightful stories and while your voice is as tiny as ever, your pronunciation is clearer, more distinct.

It is these changes, small and big all at the same time, that make my heart ache. I am so excited to see you move on to this next phase of your life (an important one!); to see you become a full-time student and rediscover the joy of learning through another one of my children. But at the same time, I want to keep you tiny-voiced and big-haired and unabashedly affectionate and snuggly and feisty forever.  

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment