Thursday 9 February 2017

Mercedes - Happy (early) 8th Birthday!

Dear Mercedes,

I am writing this to you a few days early, because next week we will be on a beach in the sunshine (that’s some birthday present isn’t it?) and I’d rather focus on spending time with YOU than writing in a journal.

Next week, you turn eight. It’s amazing to me how much you have changed in this past year. The reading, the writing, the math, the more intense discussions (like asking me about President Trump, and why he couldn’t be more like Prime Minister Trudeau, or asking me why so much stuff you see is Made in China). And of course, there’s the interest in clothes and shoes and makeup and the incessant wondering as to how old you need to be to get an iPhone (the answer? NOT YET).

I love watching you figure out the world around you and seeing your creativity at work – making pretend YouTube videos of your Journey Girls or your Shopkins, or stapling paper together to write your own book, or researching things on the internet. Your mind works in fascinating ways and it’s a glorious thing to watch.

You’ve had some rough moments recently – some friend issues at school and some anxious moments, but you face everything with bravery, even though I know you are nervous inside. That, more than walking into a room unafraid, makes me so proud. Seeing you accept these aspects of your personality, and try to understand them, and still work to conquer them – it’s heartbreaking sometimes to watch (or to get yet another text from your teacher saying your tummy hurts) but I am so proud to see you work through things that come your way.

I love everything about you, inside and out, and I am so proud to be your mother. I know the road will get rockier (the tween attitude is already strong sometimes!), and I know that we will make some mistakes along the way, but I am confident we can work through anything together. I can’t wait to see more of the person you become – and to finally be able to watch classic movies with you like Pitch Perfect and Dirty Dancing and Bring it On!

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment