Wednesday 5 September 2018

First Day of School 2018/2019


This summer vacation seemed to fly by, but I am so thankful for being able to spend two full weeks at home with you all and to have made some amazing memories in the process. This summer you spent a full week at Camp Bubie and Zaidie (which you loved of course), two weeks with me, and six weeks at camp. The camp was filled with lots of games, fun, outdoor activities, new friends, and exciting field trips (Elmvale Zoo, the Barrie Fair, the splash pad, Earl Rowe, etc.) But I am most thankful for spending some quality time with my babies – we did berry picking and swimming and visits with your cousin, park trips (we decided to drive and explore new playgrounds so we could rank them), library visits, playdates, and more. We rented an RV for a weekend in Port Severn – watching movies, and going to the beach, and visiting the Big Chute Marine Railway, exploring the waterfront in Midland/Pentetanguishine – it was an amazing time all five of us together. And to cap off a great summer, we welcomed a new kitten to our family! It has been so lovely to watch you all fall in love with a new pet – I love seeing how gentle and caring you all are with this tiny three-pound snuggly terror. But as always, summer vacation ends too quickly and yesterday was your first day back at school – finally, all three kids in the big yard and no more kindergarten!

Holden –I was so impressed with how brave and excited you were to start Grade 1. A big kid, in the big yard, with a classroom all the way on the third floor! Thankfully, you are in a class with two of your best buds James and Tate, and you were so thrilled to see them in the line-up yesterday morning. No tears from you, and you came home ridiculously tired but also so eager to tell me everything about Grade 1 and your desks and how your classroom is set-up. I vividly remember how much maturing both of your sisters did in Grade 1, and I am excited to see what this pivotal year holds for my baby boy.

Lexi – In usual Lexi fashion, you picked the most colourful outfit to wear for your first day back (a dress covered in multi-coloured popsicles, ice-cream cone earrings, and pink streaks in your hair). You also faced the day bravely (no tears!) and were thrilled to be placed with a few friends that you were in kindergarten with but didn’t have in last year’s class. Your teacher seems lovely, and you are especially enthusiastic about the ‘flexible seating’ arrangement in your new class. You have regular desks, a standing table, a kneeling table, cushions on the floor, etc. and you were so excited to try out the different options today. I can’t wait to see my future little lawyer accomplishes this year.

Mercedes –Transition and change and the unexpected are often difficult for you, and it is heartbreaking to watch you struggle with anxiety during what should be an exciting time. I continue to admire and respect how hard you work to overcome your fears, and this year was no exception. I know that you were feeling anxious about back to school over the past week or so, but I watched you talk yourself off the ledge and for the first year in history we have had ZERO tears surrounding the start of school! I watched you bravely hold your head up high yesterday, despite clearly feeling overwhelmed at the chaos of the first morning. You are so relieved that you are with a couple of great friends, including your most recent bestie Caitlynn that you have been on the phone with ALL summer long, and you even have the same teacher that you had two years ago! She was wonderful, and dealt with your anxieties in a supportive, encouraging way. Grade 4 is yet another transition year – from Primary to Junior, from one recess block to another, learning French, joining school activities – and as usual, I am so excited to see how you tackle all of this new learning and growing. It is bittersweet watching my first baby grow up so much, and confusing since your father and I literally have no idea how to parent you without a lot of trial and error. But there is always so with much love and respect and pride, and I can’t wait to see what your future holds.

I am looking forward to hearing more about your first few days/weeks of school, and to see what this exciting new year holds. I have always loved the month of September for this very reason – the promise of new beginnings and growth is always so exciting, and now I get to live it all again three times over. Being a mother to all of you makes me so proud, and happier than you could ever know.

Love,

Mama


No comments:

Post a Comment