Wednesday 13 February 2019

Mercedes - Happy 10th Birthday!


Dear Mercedes,

Happy 10th Birthday! It is impossible to accurately explain just how much you have changed all of our lives – myself, your father, your grandparents, your aunts. Before you, we were a family, a great family – but you are the one who changed us all. You turned us into parents and grandparents and aunts. You made us realize the full depth of love we were capable of, and just how it feels to have a piece of your heart permanently walking around outside of your body. Of course, I love your brother and sister just the same, but there will always be something special about the firsts with your first born. I will never forget how I felt in the last couple of weeks leading up to your arrival – impatient, anxious, nervous, and excited beyond belief at getting to meet you and finally learn all about you. I had no idea just how perfect of a mix of your father and I that you would be –his skin tone, my face, his body and feet, my excitement about writing, and a personality (and hair) all your own.

The downside to being the first born is that we basically continually experiment on you. In fact, I’ve told you often that just as you are learning how to be an 8 year old, 9 year old, and now 10 year old, we are learning how to parent that age also. We make mistakes, to be sure, but we always try our best and I hope you always remember that every decision we make is because we love you and want you to grow up to the best version of yourself that you can be. Not the one who gets the highest marks, not the one who wins the most awards, not the one who always wins the race… but the one who is kind, and considerate, and inclusive, and a little goofy, and can be sarcastic and take a good joke like the rest of us. You are well on your way, and we can’t wait to see what the next decade holds for you. 

I won’t lie, I am a LITTLE nervous about navigating the pre-teen and teenager years ahead, but as you will be figuring out your path in life, your father and I will always be walking, and learning, alongside you.

We love you – Happy First Decade!

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment