Wednesday 22 May 2019

Alexis - Happy 8th Birthday!


Dear Alexis,

Happy 8th birthday! It is hard to believe that there was ever a time that you weren’t this bright, loud, curly-haired little girl, but I still remember the events surrounding your birth like it was yesterday. I remember how small and squeaky you were (we called you Pipsqueak actually). I remember how the nurses told me that just-born babies like to sleep a lot initially, but instead, all you wanted to do was eat (and eat and eat and eat). I remember you being whisked away to the NICU for a few hours after I held you for only a second and feeling utterly helpless that I couldn’t be with you. I remember your father and I sitting alone in the recovery room, feeling empty that I didn’t have you in my arms, and being so relieved when your scrawny, bald little body was returned to me. I remember introducing you to Mercedes for the first time and witnessing how quickly she fell in love with her baby sister.

As the years pass, the moments in between those first few days and the present become blurry – I thought I would always remember how you mispronounced certain words, or what your hair looked like after a nap, or how proud you were when you learned a new skill. But certain moments will always stand out in my mind so clearly – you taking off all of your clothes and dancing on the coffee table; the stubborn way you insisted on calling your brother Baby Cry when he first came home; the phase of wanting only Daddy to change your diapers (thank you for that); the way you used to growl when you ate; how you rolled over ridiculously early and the way you used to chase Duke around with a maniacal grin.

Above all else, one thing remains – the feeling of absolute delight I have in watching you grow into this amazing kid that I just love so much. I say it often, but it remains true – you clearly knew you were destined to be a Middle before we did. You have this effortless way of moving through life – easygoing and stubborn, independent and so very loving, feisty and committed to the things you love (cartwheels, ice cream, YouTube, friends, spelling, your curls, being as colourful as possible).

Your presence is a gift to us all, and we are always so very grateful to watch you walk through life with the spirit that you have. Don’t ever lose that spark!

Happy Birthday Lovebug.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment