Tuesday 13 February 2024

Happy 15th Birthday Mercedes!

Dear Mercedes,

How has an entire decade and a half passed by in the blink of an eye? It seems so difficult to remember you as a small baby (although there are certain things you never forget, like how clingy you were, the terrible sleep, the awful bouts of teething, the overwhelming feeling of never really knowing what we were doing), but also, it seems unfathomable to me that you’re in your second semester of high school, picking grade 10 courses already, becoming more and more independent, boyfriends and volunteering and new friends and taking accountability for yourself in ways that make me so proud. You handled all of your assignments in your first semester with ease, and while we don’t know your final marks yet, they will be good - you managed deadlines and studied for tests and showed up for yourself in ways that you didn’t always through the tumultuous final years of elementary school (thanks Covid). A year ago, you never would have taken it upon yourself to talk to the guidance office about your courses, but a few weeks ago, you casually mentioned at dinner that you actually wanted to switch your geography class for a different section to avoid some uncomfortable drama with ‘friends’ - and you’d already made an appointment with the office and handled it all yourself! These small moments may seem so insignificant to you, but they are stark reminders of the fact that you’re growing up to be a confident, self-aware, empowered young woman - and I couldn’t be more thrilled to see it. Now if I could just get you to do your own laundry, that would be great.


So of course we’re proud of you for all of those little things, but above all else, I’m just so thankful that I get to be your mom and walk beside you as you continue to learn and grow. I actually LIKE spending time with you. I love going for drives and blasting Taylor Swift, and hearing about your friends and what’s happening at school and biting my tongue when some boy plays with your feelings. I love that you feel comfortable enough to tell me about the big things and the little things alike, and that you actually want to spend time with me too. It’s a privilege and an honour to watch you grow older - and while I try real hard not to think about the fact that in a few years you could potentially move out, I also know that if/when that happens, you’ll be more than just fine. You will thrive, in whatever you put your mind to.


Love you bunches Shmeecee.

Mum (aka Bruh)

No comments:

Post a Comment