Friday 21 May 2021

Lexi - Happy 10th Birthday!

Dear Lexi,

Or should I say Alexis, Lex, Lexi-Lou, Rad Lou, Ratatouille – your nicknames seem endless these days! Regardless, Happy 10th Birthday to my sweet girl – it’s hard to believe we are already in double-digit territory. I remember the day you were born so vividly, and how small and feisty you were. You are definitely bigger, but the feistiness remains – and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I love seeing you grow into the kind of kid that I always wanted to be – you are confident and brave and have strong opinions about what you like and don’t like, what you want to eat, what you want to wear. You are such a joy to watch mature – although I think your father is a bit scared of the abundance of female hormones that are rapidly taking over our household. You still read voraciously, often falling asleep with your lights on and your book beside you – and you still watch YouTube just as wholeheartedly.

Ten is such a unique age, as you straddle the line between kid and tween (your sister only recently firmly landed on one side of that line ha) – your eyes light up whenever anyone mentions ice cream and your bed is still fully covered with stuffies, but you don’t want me to shop for you anymore and you’ve started asking for more freedom around screentime (and you wear bras and deodorant!). I love seeing you figure out your place in the world, because you do it in typical Lexi fashion. With feeling and flair, always.

As Covid-19 continues to be a hot topic here, you are now celebrating your second birthday in lockdown, but again in typical Lexi fashion, you accept it without complaint. You know you’ll be spoiled appropriately, and thankfully for us your family still remains the most important celebrants of all. We have a full day planned of safe, at-home celebrations and we’ll make the best of it, as we have the past year. I know it’s been a terrible thing that we’ve had to endure these past 14 months, but I’m so grateful that I’ve been able to be home with you all this entire time – spending so much time together is a LOT, but it’s also wonderful. My favourite part? Watching the relationship between you and your siblings continue to grow and flourish. There’s fights, for sure, but I’m so blessed to watch you all love each other and get along so well.

Happy birthday lovey – keep being you and don’t ever lose that sparkle we all love so much.

Love,

Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment